Diner – Stabled at Council Bluffs
The Overland was built in 1949 by the St. Louis Car Company as lunch counter cafe and lounge No. 5015. It was rebuilt
as a 36-seat diner in 1988. It received a wood interior upgrade in 2005.
When the Overland Flyer began service in 1887, Union Pacific included The Overland Route as part of its logo. This was dropped from the Union Pacific logo in 1942. The Overland Flyer was renamed the Overland Limited in 1890, a first-class train that remained in service until 1963.
Copies of the inaugural run advertising, as well as promotions of The Overland Route, today decorate the walls of the Overland
The Overland Mail Company began stage coach service in 1861 between Salt Lake City and Virginia City, Nev. The firm of Russell, Majors & Waddell operated the stage line east of Salt Lake City. Ben Holladay operated the stage service to Salt Lake between 1863 and 1866. Wells, Fargo & Company operated the stage line from 1866 until 1869, when all overland stage mail contracts were cancelled with the completion of the transcontinental railroad.
Photo Credit UP Official Website