Atlas, HO Scale, 10003060, Silver Series, GE Dash 8-40B, CSX (ex-NS), #5966, (DCC Ready)Regular price $179.95 Sale price $124.99
Please note picture is representative of the item but may not be same road number. Always refer to product description for actual product details.
Built in the late 1980s by GE, the DASH 8-40B diesel locomotives were identified by their dynamic brake gear located along the roof line between the cab and engine compartment, with ventilation provided by large roof-top grilles. These four-axle, high horsepower engines are still in service today in North America.
By the early 1990s the North American Cab had begun to replace the “standard” cab on regular production GE 4 and 6-axle locomotives. The only order for 4-axle Dash 8-40Bs with this new cab came from Santa Fe, and thus the Dash 8-40BW model was unique to that road. A total of 83 units total were built and many are still in service today for BNSF.
In 1991 Amtrak, faced with a motive power shortage, turned to GE for an order of 20 Dash 8-32BWH locomotives. This unique model was basically a Dash 8-32B locomotive equipped with a North American Cab and built on the longer Dash 8-40BW frame. Some additional modifications for passenger service were included. A total of 20 units were built and they are still in Amtrak service today.
- Operating ditch lights (HO DASH 8-40BW/8-32BHW only)
- Realistic die-cast underframe
- Standard cab or gull wing cab as per the prototype (HO DASH 8-40BW/8-32BHW only)
- Five-pole skewed armature motor with dual flywheels for optimum performance at all speeds
- Directional lighting
- Factory-equipped with AccuMate® knuckle couplers
- Painted crew figures
- Separately-installed scale windshield wipers, metal grab irons and fine scale handrails
- Highly detailed coupler cut bars
- Multiple unit hoses and trainline hoses
- Shock absorbers
- Piping on trucks
DCC Operation FEATURES:
- Supports all DCC-programming modes
- Flexible mapping of function keys F0 to F28.
- A total of six DCC function outputs are available
- Follows all NMRA DCC standards and recommended practices.
Analog (DC) Operation FEATURES:
- The LokSound Select Dual-Mode decoder allows your Atlas Gold Series locomotive to be used on DC as well as on DCC layouts.
- Please note that the Atlas Quantum Engineer will NOT operate an Atlas Gold Series locomotive equipped with a LokSound Select decoder on an analog (DC) layout. However, the sound and lighting
functions of the LokSound Select decoder in the Atlas Gold Series DASH 8 locomotive can be controlled by an easy-to-use basic DCC system
- Also note that on a DC-powered layout, a DCC and sound equipped locomotive (such as the Atlas Gold Series DASH 8) CANNOT be consisted with another locomotive that does not also have both DCC and sound. (This statement does NOT apply to DCC-equipped locomotives operating on a DCC layout.)