The headliner of GE’s 1993 freight locomotive line was the 6 motor, 4400hp C44-9W “Dash 9.” Slightly longer than its predecessors at 73 feet, 2 inches, the C44-9W used a new HiAd, bolsterless low-weight truck that was designed for better grip on the rails no matter the weather. A split cooling system lowered engine temperatures and fuel consumption as well, granting these locomotives a longer operation life and lower overhead costs.
- Great for pulling our Gunderson MAXI-IV double stack well cars
- Precisely engineered weight distribution for more pulling power on steep grades and long trains
- Lighted ditch lights in the high mount position for SP and UP (ex-SP) units
- Prototypical Late Hi-Adhesion trucks
- DCC and Sound friendly construction with a speaker housing in the fuel tank and standard 8 pin DCC plug