The EMD NW2 is a 1,000 hp (750 kW), B-B switcher locomotive manufactured by General Motors Electro-Motive Division of La Grange, Illinois. The NW2 was manufactured from February 1939 to December 1949, and 1145 were produced – 1121 for the U.S., and 24 were exported to Canada. Starting in late 1948 the NW2s were manufactured in EMD's Plant #3 in Cleveland, Ohio. The 1,000 hp (750 kW) was achieved by using a 12-cylinder, model 567, and later, a model 567A engine. In addition, 3 TR cow-calf paired sets, 36 TR2 cow-calf paired sets, and 2 TR3 cow-calf-calf sets were produced. The TR sets were built prior to World War II and the TR2 and TR3 sets were built postwar.